Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Good Place to Be

The human body is an interesting thing. Women are always looking for ways to make theirs more appealing, more "beautiful." We often compare ourselves to other women, usually picking out their "perfect" physical qualities, wondering why we don't look like that. I noticed myself comparing my body to that of another girl I've been acquainted with for a few years. This girl has long, blonde hair, she's beautifully skinny, and her face is completely "perfect-looking." It seemed to me as if people would completely ignore me to go talk to and hang out with her. She doesn't treat me very well sometimes, and I wished people would see that part of her and stop ignoring me. I wished I looked more like her so that people would notice me more.

When I was biking home from Institute one day, I was thinking about her, a little jealous and being hard on myself for not being more physically appealing. For some reason, I thought about some of the good things about my body and started making a list in my head:
  • I have some fat on my body, but it's more to love
  • my muscles are pretty strong
  • my body can keep up with me and the stupid things I do
  • I have a really strong immune system
  • how many people can say that they got hit by a car and didn't break a bone or need surgery or anything, and was sent home in a moon boot, a sling, and told to take ibuprofen?
The list just went on. I then asked myself, 'How many of these things can the girl I'm comparing myself to say? I mean, yeah, she's perfect-looking, but does she get sick all the time? Do her bones break easily? Etc.' I then thought to myself, 'Would I give up all these good things about my body to be better looking?' I decided that I wouldn't; I realized how much I really do love my body, and that I wouldn't trade it for anything. My body was made by a perfect God, and it was made with love just for me. My body, having been made by Someone Who is perfect, is perfect just the way it is, and the other girl's body was made perfectly for her. Why wish for something that isn't good enough for me?

2 comments:

  1. That is so true. We all need to be more accepting of our bodies. I know I need to accept mine. Your posts really make me think and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, you go chica! We all struggle with that sometimes, and it's so true. It's amazing how much we can do, how good we can feel when we love ourselves. Thanks for starting this blog-I love it!

    ReplyDelete